Steps You Can Take To Reduce Your Carbon FootprintEarth Day is upon us and now is the best time to be earth conscious. Our global carbon footprint affects the planet and the lifestyle of the future generations. So, it’s a great time to talk about what and how to reduce carbon footprint.
What Is a Carbon Footprint?
You've probably heard the term "carbon footprint" in conversations about global warming or the environment. It's used to describe the impact an individual, organization, or event has on greenhouse gas emissions. These gases contribute to the greenhouse gas effect, a phenomenon that occurs when gases in the Earth's atmosphere trap the Sun's heat, which has negative effects on the environment.
While it's difficult to precisely measure one's carbon footprint, you can use various online carbon footprint calculators to estimate your household's impact.
Doing your part to help sustain the life of our planet involves much more than just recycling. In fact, 50 to 80% of land, materials, and water are used for household consumption. Whether you're looking to save money or save the world, here's a helpful guide to get you started on your journey to a more environmentally conscious lifestyle.
Why Should We Care About Our Carbon Footprint?
These emissions contribute to frequent and severe weather, and they steadily accelerate the impact of global warming by increasing wildlife extinction rates, human death rates, and the acidity of the world's oceans. Our collective carbon footprint and its role in the development of climate change can also have damaging effects on local economies that are dependent on natural resources.
Is It Easy to Reduce My Carbon Footprint?
Absolutely! You can take steps to reduce your personal carbon footprint daily, with gestures big and small. Here are a few starting points to help you transition to a greener lifestyle without taking a deep dive too quickly:
- Reduce consumption practically:The meat industry, food waste, water and energy usage, and rampant consumerism all contribute to the depletion of the world's resources and overall health. Start small by practically adjusting your diet, taking shorter showers, and being more conscious about impulse purchases.
- Recycle weekly:You don't have to throw everything away! Cardboard, paper, aluminum, various plastics, and glass can be recycled at local facilities. Research your local recycling plant and contact them about pick-up schedules.
- Invest in ENERGY STAR products:ENERGY STAR appliances and products are an effective way to save on energy bills while also protecting the environment—they even use 10 to 50% less energy and water than standard appliances! These EPA-backed products have resulted in $350 in residential and commercial energy cost savings for every $1 the EPA has spent on ENERGY STAR.
- Reuse items within your household:Not everything can be recycled, but before you toss something, determine whether the item can be reused or repurposed within your household.
In short, being more thoughtful about your personal impact on the planet makes a difference. It's not just beneficial for the world around you; reducing your carbon footprint can improve your health and quality of life. At Bin There Dump That Corporate, our mission goes beyond dumpster rentals—we're dedicated to managing and disposing of our clients' trash in a responsible and professional manner. Find your nearest Bin There Dump That franchise location to get started with efficient and convenient dumpster rental services.
Our Favorite Tips By To Reduce Carbon Footprint By Bloggers
- Good Housekeeping has 45 tiny lifestyle changes that you can make right now to help save the planet.
- Rebecca from Minimalism Made Simple has 25 simple ways to live greener
- Dawn from Small Footprint Family has 40 ways to save money just by going green
- Candice from The Edgy Veg has 20 sustainable swaps to help reduce waste
- Sarah from Live Eat Learn has 13 recipes that can help reduce your carbon footprint
- The Inspired Home has general tips on how to waste less and cut your carbon footprint
- The Design Swan has 5 simple ways to reduce the carbon footprint of your home
Request a Free Quote Near You!
Friendly, professional customer service, plus fair pricing, equals value.Request a Free Quote
Everything you need to know about renting a dumpsterDownload Now
Skip The Gym and Burn Calories While Doing Your Household ChoresLearn More
FREE CALENDAR DOWNLOAD
28 Day Cleaning ScheduleDownload Now